Maine School Administrative District No. 31
SCHOOL SYSTEM WEBSITE/WEB PAGES ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE
A. Website Purpose
The purpose of the District’s official website is to provide general information about our school system as well as information
about educational programs, extracurricular activities, school events, and student and staff achievements. The website is
intended to support the educational mission of the schools, to enhance the curriculum and learning opportunities for students
and staff, and to provide valuable information to the larger community about our schools. The following guidelines are intended
to ensure that the website meets these goals and to establish reasonable controls to protect the privacy of our students and
staff, to ensure that the website is in compliance with applicable laws, and to ensure that it meets the highest educational and
B. Website Structure
The District website includes the following components:
1. System-wide information (including but not limited to Central Office information, School Board information, Transportation,
Facilities and Food Service information);
2. Individual school information;
3. Individual department, grade level and/or classroom information (including student work and/or teacher-created work and
4. School-sponsored extracurricular organization information.
C. District’s Authority and Webmaster Responsibilities
The District reserves the right to edit, delete, or modify any web page content as it sees fit to comply with the intended
purposes of the website and these guidelines.
The Superintendent shall designate a Webmaster, who shall be responsible for maintaining the District’s website, approving all
material to be posted on the site, and monitoring all website activities for compliance with Board policies, applicable laws and
regulations, and these guidelines. If the Webmaster is unsure whether particular material is appropriate, he/she shall consult
with the Superintendent, whose decision shall be final. Only the Webmaster or other authorized school staff shall have
password-protected access to the web server to place and remove web pages and content.
D. Content, Quality, and Subject Matter
1. The District website does not create, nor is it intended to create, a public or limited public forum. All materials placed on
the website must serve the educational mission of the school and comply with all Board policies, administrative procedures,
and school rules concerning the publication and distribution of school-sponsored materials.
2. All materials placed on the website must meet academic standards for proper spelling, grammar, content, and accuracy.
3. All materials placed on the website must comply with all Board policies, administrative procedures, and school rules.
4. Web page content must be limited to school-sponsored information and activities. No personal student or staff web pages,
chat rooms, or discussion groups are permitted on the website.
E. Confidentiality of Student Information
1. The website shall be in compliance with all applicable confidentiality laws and regulations.
2. At no time shall personal information about students (such as home address, telephone number, e-mail address, birth date,
social security number, etc.) or information made confidential by state or federal law appear on the website. The website
will not include any information that indicates the physical location of students at any given time, other than attendance at
a particular school or participation in school activities.
3. Student information, photographs, or work may only be published on the website if the student’s parent/guardian has
signed the Parent/Guardian Agreement Form to Publish Student Information. For purposes of these guidelines, student
information includes name, class rosters, awards/honors received, and team/extracurricular activity participation lists.
F. Confidentiality of Staff Information
1. At no time shall personal information about staff appear on the website (including home address, home telephone number,
home e-mail address, birth date, social security number, etc.).
2. Because the District website is maintained in part to enhance communication with students and their families, the school
e-mail address and/or telephone numbers of staff are published on the website.
1. Appropriate permission will be obtained before any copyrighted or trademarked material is used on the website. No
copyrighted material may be reproduced, transmitted, or stored on the District’s website without obtaining permission
from the copyright owner.
2. Students shall retain the copyright on materials that they create.
3. An appropriate copyright notice will appear with all copyrighted material published on the website.
4. Except for the above exceptions, all web pages and materials published on the website are the property of and owned by
The District website will not include any advertising, nor will it include any selling activities outside of publicity for
school-sponsored and/or approved fundraising activities.
I. Links to External Sites
1. The District website will not include links to any personal websites of students or staff.
2. The website may include links only to websites that have demonstrated educational value to students, staff, and/or the
community, as deemed appropriate by the Webmaster.
3. The website shall include a disclaimer informing users that links are provided as a convenience and that the District
does not endorse these sites or have any responsibility for the content of these sites.
J. Additional Requirements
1. The website shall inform users about how to contact the Webmaster.
2. Each web page will contain the date the page was last updated.
3. The Webmaster will provide appropriate information to school users regarding technical requirements for publishing
material on the website.
Cross Reference: GCSA - Employee Computer & Internet Use
GCSA-R - Employee Computer & Internet Rules
IJNDB - Student Computer & Internet Use
IJNDB-R - Student Computer & Internet Rules
IJNDB-E2 - Web Site Photo Release
JRA - Student Educational Records
IJNDC - District Website/Web Pages
IJNDC-E2 - Agreement to Publish Student Information on the M.S.A.D. 31 Website 200_ - 200_ School Year
First Reading: 11/19/2003