Maine School Administrative District No. 31
CHILD ABUSE REPORTING
School personnel are required by law to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect. Child abuse or neglect means "a threat to a child's health or welfare by physical, mental, or emotional injury or impairment, sexual abuse or exploitation, deprivation of essential needs or lack of protection from these, by a person responsible for the child." (Chapter 1071, Subs Section 4002)
Any staff member who has reasonable cause to suspect or to know of child abuse or neglect shall immediately notify an administrator of this suspicion or knowledge. The staff member and administrator will immediately contact the Department of Human Services Child and Family Services Division.
The staff member reporting abuse or neglect will complete the "Report of Suspected Child Abuse or Neglect" form.
All information shared between the school district and the D.H.S. will remain confidential. A civil penalty of up to $500 for a violation of this confidentiality is set forth by law.
The Special Services office will serve as liaison between M.S.A.D. #31 and the D.H.S. Special Services will:
1. Monitor the working agreement;
2. Maintain records of all cases;
3. Provide feedback to the personnel involved;
4. Distribute copies of the policy and reporting forms to all staff; and
5. Arrange periodic workshops to keep M.S.A.D. #31 staff acquainted with changes in the law and educate new staff in their
responsibilities under the law.
First Reading: 05/17/1989